As a Scanner, I have a healthy appreciation for employment that gives you that feeling that you have a bit of magic in your life – instead of the soul-destroying, boring jobs that you often do just to pay the bills. Why not do work that you love that pays the bills?!
Scanners love learning, starting new projects and embracing new ideas. Use ALL of your interests, passions, and hobbies to create the life and career of your dreams. Barbara Sher – Refuse to Choose!
Like Leonardo da Vinci, Renaissance men and women need to focus their energies on many different elements of life, the universe and everything…this lifetime.
I’ve worked in a lot of fun, interesting and important roles. I’ve got some great stories. The length of time I stay in a role is usually dependent on how long the work and the work environment and the people I work with can hold my interest, my heart and my imagination.
I need to love going to work most days. There’s got to be something or someone at work that I think of when I wake up that makes me want to be at work. I never want to go to work just because of obligation, fear or any number of other negative thoughts.
As soon as I can no longer daydream about the opportunities and possibilities for positive change in my place of work, I start putting one of my transition plans into play. Sometimes I can invigorate my workplace to change with me and I stay a while longer, but often I feel the invisible pull of my next journey and I must live intuitively to respect the magic of my true self. That’s how I roll.
Job Ideas for Scanners
As we’re moving to the UK, and Scotland specifically, this is where my focus will be. However, there’s probably something similar to the following ideas in your neck of the woods.
Making a difference: Safety & Security
Recruitment agencies that specialise in security:
Places and Spaces for Creative Thought
I love being in creative spaces, surrounded by amazing ideas and that creative atmosphere where you sometimes find yourself holding your breath or not blinking in case you miss something amazing. A place where all of your senses come alive. Where you’re simply walking down a hallway to meet with somebody or deliver something and something catches your eye, caresses your ears, arouses your nose or otherwise tickles your fancy.
I’m going to search through the Top Things to Do in Glasgow pages of Trip Advisor to find places and spaces to work. Trip Advisor has awesome guides for Glasgow and many cities. Check out your city for inspiration. I reckon if it’s a special place to visit, then it’s probably a special place to work.
Museums, galleries and architectural delights
Love to visit? Why not work there? There’s at many awesome museums in Glasgow.
- Even an administration role at the Glasgow Science Centre (jobs link) will allow you to roam the halls during and after hours to soak in the atmosphere.
- The Sharmanka Kinetic Theatre: “Hundreds of carved figures and pieces of old scrap perform an incredible choreography to haunting music and synchronised light, telling the funny and tragic stories of the human spirit as it struggles against the relentless circles of life and death.”
- Architectural buildings in Glasgow
- Landmarks in Glasgow
- More coming soon…
Entertainment, Tourism & Hospitality
- Fun activities and games in Glasgow: Movie theatres – Games and entertainment centres
- Concert and show venues in Glasgow
- Shopping destinations in Glasgow
- Nightlife in Glasgow
- Tour guide in Glasgow
Work for organisations that exist to remind us that life is beautiful.
- GlasgowLife.org.uk: “…delivers world-class museums, major events and sports facilities, as well as excellent community based services, including libraries and community facilities, which enrich the lives of citizens of and visitors to Glasgow…We are committed to contributing to Glasgow’s economic and social wellbeing and we do this by getting more people, more involved in cultural and sporting activity. A charitable company…the largest organisation of its kind in the UK.” (info on jobs at Glasgow Life and jobs link)
- Scottish Local Government: (jobs link) Having worked in many Federal and State Government (civil/public service) agencies in Australia, I respect the work performed by local and public sector organisations.
- More coming soon…
Volunteering & Other Activities
There’s always a need for good people to help out in your local area (Glasgow community areas). Local support groups exist to help with community action, learning, physical activity, play and youth projects (link to competency framework).